Saturday, June 9, 2007

Cora Can Tie Her Shoes!


Now this may not seem like much to adults, but to a 6 year old, this is big stuff! Cora has a pair of pink shoes (her favorite color) that she has been begging to wear to school. Her mom says she can't wear them to school unless she can tie them herself. (I suspect the kindergarten teachers agree!)

Rachael showed Cora a few times, but got frustrated with her. After watching all this for a while, I told Cora that I would make her something to help her practice tying. So I made her a small pink pillow about 4 X 8 inches, sewed pink bias binding into strings and sewed them on the pillow. Now she has something large enough to see and to manipulate. We spent several afternoons and evenings learning how to make bunny ears and how to wrap them to make a tie. Slowly Cora began to master the process.

This morning she got up, got her pink shoes out, AND TIED THEM HERSELF! I was so proud of her! And off she went to school with her pink shoes on! One more milestone in her life! It is so great to be able to participate in her life this way. Wish I knew if Piper can tie her shoes. She is 8 yrs old, so I suspect she can. Will ask her next time we talk.

Knitting News:
Working on a blue and white 5 hr. boy sweater. Turning out nicely.
More mittens in the works.

Sewing News:
Trimming up the pattern for Snow Sack. Looks like an easy pattern to make of fleece for the babies at the Rez. Has small, large (up to 25 lbs) and two doll sizes. I plan to make some doll clothes, too.

Will trim my pants pattern tomorrow. I have grey knit fabric for those.

No comments: