Sunday, June 3, 2007

More Sideways Mittens



This is such an interesting pattern to knit. You can find Mariella's Sideways Mittens here. The variegated pair is the child size version. She also has an adult version, which is what the orange pair is. They are both are made the same way. I slip stitch each mitten together instead of sewing them--I crochet better than sew! It makes a strong attractive seam. Because they are made in garter stitch, they are warm mittens even in acrylic--more so if made in wool. It is a great pattern for using up small amounts of yarn.

I plan to make child size mittens for my local school. They always have children who forget their mittens or simply don't have mittens (poor kids are everywhere). We get cold and snow here in upstate NY. And the kids have to have mittens to put on if they are going be able to go outside at recess. I thought I would put together a Mitten Box and take it to my granddaughter's school in Sept/Oct. If you live in a cold part of the country, you might consider doing the same. As a retired teacher, I can tell you that we appreciate community support for caring for our students.

Right now I'm still working on the Mitten Blitz for Cheyenne River Reservation. Those will be mailed at the end of September. The goal of the blitz was for each participant to make 7 pairs of mittens and send them to the Rez. I've more than made my personal goal, but will continue to make more to send to the Rez. Over 600 kids at the Rez, so we can't make too many!

Movies:
Love Comes Softly. A Hallmark production set in the west. Nicely done and enjoyable.

The Devil Wears Prada. Meryl Streep as a fashion tyrant! Enjoyed it very much. What a view of the fashion world!

Both of these movies were great knitting movies!

Sewing:
I picked up a couple of patterns for myself this week. One has capris, shorts and tops and the other one has dresses in several lengths.

I want to make some shorts and pants for the hot weather. Later I want to make some casual dresses in cool fabrics. Heat and humidity! Ah, yes, summer is definitely here!

I will also be sewing some shorts for the kids on the Rez.

No comments: